Vitamins

Overdose Of Vitamin C Dangerous

We all know what will happen to us if we have a deficiency of Vitamin C, but are we aware of the negative effects of a Vitamin C overdose.

Yes we may think a overdose of vitamin C  is very beneficial for our body. What we do not realize is how harmful it can turn out to be for our body.

A overdose of this vitamin may cause diarrhea, stomachaches and may hamper the metabolism of the body greatly.

The dosage also varies with men and women and smokers as well as non-smokers.

Non-Smokers

                                                           

       Smokers
Men:

            90mg                                                        

   Men:

           125 mg

Women:

       75mg                                                         

Women:

       110mg

If we exceeed the above mentioned dosage, we are in for serious trouble.

People with iron overload disease should avoid Vitamin C. Also, individuals who take a overdose of Vitamin C tend to develop Kidney stones.

Pregnant women who take a high intake of Vitamin C , have babies who tend to develop kidney stones.

Overdose of Vitamin C leads to deficiency of copper in the body, a very essential component of our body.

Symptoms Of Overdose:

If you notice any of these symptons kindly contact your doctor immediately.

  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Headaches
  • Stomach aches
  • Sleep Disturbances
  • Fever
  • Back pain

Steps One Can Take

The best thing one can do is reduce the intake of Vitamin C . Too much of something is always bad. It is therefore important to have a balanced intake of any thing.

Just like how Midas, who thought that turning everything he touched into gold would bring him happiness ,only to be greatly disappointed similarly popping in excess of Vitamin C tablets will only cause you much harm than any good. 

 
 

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *